Sunday, June 17, 2012

June 17, 2012: Sunday Showdown!

(Click to Enlarge)

Clockwise from the bottom left:
  • Leroy's comment about his wedding ring is the most overt overture made by a Lockhorn about seeking a divorce thus far. Could it be that after decades upon decades of strife and struggle, some cracks are actually beginning to form in the Lockhorns' deeply dysfunctional yet seemingly indestructible marriage? I always figured the Lockhorns' unhappy union would outlast the heat death of the universe; however if "Cathy" can get married, I suppose the Lockhorns could get divorced. I wouldn't hold my breath for it though. Leroy gets the point and jumps to an early 1-0 lead.
  • Given their characteristically dated lifestyles and how much they despise each other's company, I find it strange that the Lockhorns do not opt for the old fashioned separate beds. For all their mutual hatred, they share a pretty cozy marital mattress every night. Of course, if they Lockhorns opted for separate beds, we would be missing out on all sorts of classic conflicts like the one in this panel. Leroy looks excessively ashamed by Loretta's complaint, one would think he just wet the bed. Loretta scores a point, it's all tied up 1-1.
  • I suppose one's belt shouldn't be nearly as tall as oneself. I actually took off my belt just to check. The actual length of my belt in relation to my body never really occurred to me, so I didn't initially think Loretta's comment was all that insulting. It reminded me of the apocryphal fact that your arm span is equal to your height. In fairness to Leroy, just about everyone in the Lockhorns' universe (with the exception of the monstrously proportioned bimbos) has a similarly short legged, rotund figure like Leroy and Loretta (frankly I don't know how she can get away with mocking Leroy's body when they have the exact same body type). Loretta still gets the point and takes a 2-1 advantage.
  • It may appear that Leroy is complaining about Loretta's inability to recognize other people's points and her selfish insistence on making her own points known; however I'm going to take a more direct reading of his gripe. I suspect Loretta actually carries around some sort of sharp, pointed, object that she is repeatably jabbing Leroy and other individuals with. Perhaps this literal jabbing is done in addition to Loretta making a conversational to really empathize her viewpoint. Or maybe she's just trying to stab Leroy to death. Leroy makes a point and gets a point. The day is tied up 2-2.
  • Loretta is always ready with the clever word play. I have to admit, I didn't notice that the word "resent" was in "present". Leroy may have been expecting to humiliate Loretta in front of their friends with his insulting gift of a hand vacuum, but Loretta managed to beat him to the punch by insulting his terrible gift giving abilities first. Well played Loretta. Two random notes about the scene: first, the box appears smaller than the hand vacuum that it was supposedly holding; second, I sure hope someone offered the guy on the right a seat, it would be awful rude to force him to stand while everyone else sat. Loretta comes through in the end and takes a thrilling Sunday Showdown 3-2.
Official Count:
Leroy - 61
Loretta - 72
Push - 36

No comments:

Post a Comment